“Every single person knows what they do, some people know how they do it, very few people know why they do what they do” – Simon Sinek
‘Why’ means what’s your purpose, what’s your belief. WHY are you doing something in the first place? Knowing what’s important to us and why gives us direction and purpose.
If you are struggling to answer your “why” then you are not alone!!
When we start working with our clients, we use a simple system to get to your why – “The 5 Whys” which was a system originally used by the Toyota Motor Corporation. It’s very simple and really cuts to the core of why we want something.
Here is how it works –
When you want to accomplish something, you ask one why. Why do I want to accomplish this?
Then, with whatever answer you come up with, you ask why to that first answer. and keep asking for five times.
Here’s an example of one of our Coaching clients –
“I want to get into better shape.”
- Why do I want to get into better shape? Because I want to lose my gut and maybe build some muscle in my upper body.
- And why does that matter? Because then I’ll be able to take my shirt off at the beach.
- And why do I want to be able to take my shirt off at the beach? Because when I look good, I feel good about myself.
- And why do I want to feel good about myself? Because when I feel good about myself, I’m more assertive and confident.
- And why do I want to be more assertive and confident? Because when I’m more assertive and confident, I’m in control and better able to get what I want out of life.
This tool can be very effective and useful to give you a sense of direction when you feel lost. This is the first step we take with our nutrition clients.
Watch below video from Simon Sinek to learn more about starting with your why
We provide one on one nutrition remote coaching. Get in touch with us to set up your Free 30 min Consultation to learn more about our remote nutrition coaching.
You can also book your call directly from this link